My love for fancy and unique notebooks started way back when I was in 4th grade. Back then it contained my scribbles which mostly included song writing, poems and diary entries. I still have some of those books and I can tell you the ‘nostalgic-infused’ trips down memory lane are filled with embarrassment and wonder.
That habit has followed me to my adult life, only now I not only love fancy and unique books, I collect them!
At this point I basically have one for everything. Let’s walk through them. You’ll notice that I have numbered the books for easy reference.
1. LIVE THE LIFE YOU’VE IMAGINED: I took the meaning of this book literally. Since getting the book, I have been able to fulfill a lot of things that I only used to dream about. It was like I challenged myself to do the things I write about. It all started when I applied and then attended a course at the Korean cultural centre a few weeks after buying this book. I had the best 12 weeks I could ever wish for and from then onwards, I started scribbling things down and actually achieving it. One prominent example was ‘international day of Happiness’ last year, I wrote down how I would love to participate in the HAPPY by Pharrell Music videos around the world to celebrate the day. A few hours later, saddled with my camera and a friend I went round my university campus and filmed people and by midnight I had a MV on YouTube. Check it out below….
From then onwards, this became my dream book as I have dubbed it!
2. DOODLY HEARTS: I immediately knew what I was gonna do with this one even before I decided to buy it. It is a handmade notebook with a leather cover. It screamed JOURNAL when I saw it. I imagined how I was gonna write all my thoughts and musings and I was gonna put pictures and illustrations. It will be my perfect memoir. I’m still getting there with this one.
3. I WILL NOT DAYDREAM ABOUT SHOES IN CLASS: This book is every fashionistas dream. The cover itself is inspiration enough. The content of this book just like my style has evolved, I got it whilst I was doing my Art internship and it was a scrapbook at first. I wrote down ideas and inspirational quotes, but then one day I attended an event and I needed to make notes but this was the only book I had with me. So I used it and from then onwards it became my book of inspirational notes! And I promise, I try not to think of shoes in class!
4. BOOK READING COMPANION: Reading is one of my favourite pastime. I have read hundreds of books and with every book I have this eagerness to read more. Now you all know how sometimes whilst reading, you come across a quote that just resonates with you and you want to remember it forever and maybe use it in conversation sometime to sound smart or whatever! Well this Notebook is where I write down my jottings. So every time I come across a quote I write it down here and now I have a nice collection that is a book by itself! This quote written on the cover was my inspiration for what I will do with the notebook….
“Life is short, Break the Rules. Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that makes you smile.” ― Mark Twain
Speaking of quotes he’s one of my faves from ‘The Fault in our Stars’
5. THE BLOGGING IDEA BOOK: This is the latest in my collection. I got it when I was creating this blog and I wrote down all the ideas I had for design and content. Now I use it to write down my jottings relating to the blog, what my aspirations for this blog is and how I can make it better.
I buy my notebooks from TkMaxx—TJmaxx as they say in America—I like their buying books from there because of the uniqueness and adventure of not knowing what you might find! But really you can find them in a lot of bookshops.
Since collecting notebooks, I have realized the gift writing things down is. Now when I read through this books, I remember moments in my life I would have forgotten. Plus it keeps my thoughts and ideas organized. With a brain like mine that runs miles ahead of my sanity, this brings order to my otherwise chaotic thoughts!
Do you like notebooks as well? OR do you have something you collect? Love to know….